The Perfect Shave
The shave should be seen as an important morning ritual preparing you for the day. To make sure it is a painless and hassle free routine choosing the correct product makes all the difference.
1. Use a hot towel to soften whiskers and to open up pores or shave straight out of the shower.
2. Use a fresh blade to achieve the smoothest glide. A blunt blade is the major cause of irritations. If you suffer from razor rash or severe ingrown hairs, a fresh blade will help prevent cross infections.
3. For sensitive skin that suffers from razor burn use a shave oil (Vitaman Shave Oil) accompanied by good shave cream or shave gel (Vitaman Shave Creme or Gel). Do not use foams or aerosol creams. They contain alcohol and propellants which irritate the skin. Always use a bristle brush to lift hair from the face and soften the hair shaft. The use of a brush also gives a better lather to ensure the protection between your skin and the blade meaning fewer irritations. Take around 1 minute prepping.
4. Shave with the grain on the first pass. Let the weight of the blade do the work. Never apply to much pressure, otherwise you promote razor rash.
5. The secret to the closest shave possible is shaving twice using your fingers to feel for the areas you missed on the first pass. Also apply much lighter pressure and shave across the grain this time (but never AGAINST the grain) Shaving against the grain will result in ingrown hairs. Make sure you a use a little more water on the brush to apply additional lather.
6. Wash the face with cold water to close the pores.
7. Finish with a high quality aftershave (Vitaman Aftershave Balm) to clam and soothe the skin. Never spray aftershave fluid or fragrance. They contain alcohol which dries the skin.
8. For men who suffer from ingrown hairs apply a spot treatment (Tendskin) This product contains salicylic acid which prevents the skin from growing over the pore allowing the hair to grow out naturally.